Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Saffron Challenge #2 - Orange Saffron & Hazelnut Pull Apart Bread

I was feeling so guilty for not doing my saffron challenge for the past couple of days that today I gave myself a double challenge ...

a saffron dessert and bread making.

I've never made bread before. But everyone keeps telling me that making bread is totally easy and there is something therapeutic about the whole process. Both parts are true. It was easy (just time consuming) and kneading the dough made me felt like I was in my own little world. 

Half way through it, the construction workers decided to drill the heck out of the exterior wall of my building. I was so annoyed that I tweeted about it (yes, I wanted everyone to know about my bread making experience). Thankfully, my lovely bread dough wasn't affected by the noise and raised beautifully. And I, while kneading, was totally consumed in the whole thing that it drowned out the 'diiizzzzz diiiiizzzzzz ... silence ... silence... diiizzz diiiizzzz diiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... and so on'.

I am done making the bread, ate half of it and the dizzzzz dizzzzzz is STILL going on. Thank goodness for sugary bread dough to get me through the day. 

Today's flavour combo: Saffron, Orange, Hazelnut and Brown Sugar. YUM! All combined into a soft, warm and yeasty bread. Quadruple YUM!


I took it a step further. This is not your regular loaf of bread. Is made in a way that you can pull the bread apart in sheets!! Thanks to the JoyTheBaker! She is such a genius and is THE baking queen. I LOVE her blog! 


The bread turned out oh-so-good! I couldn't resist and had to eat a slice right away. The top was very crunchy, with bits of nuts sticking out and crumbly brown sugar bits all caramelized & gooood. The bread was so soft and moist and when I pulled it apart, I got hit by the sweet citrusy smell of the orange zests and the warm aroma of the saffron.

MMmmmmmMMMMmmmmm. 



I now love to make bread!! And there is no need for a bread machine or those kitchen aid that has a dough hook and mix everything for you. These things just take up space! Why would you let the machine do the work when you get to play with flour and dough? Remember when you were kids and you couldn't get enough of playdoh? Making bread is exactly the same thing .. but better. Cos you get to eat your creations afterwards.

Two special ingredients that I used for this recipe are good quality saffron and fragrant good quality extra virgin olive oil infused with orange and saffron. Both products of Spain.

Carmencita's saffron from Spain. 
Leave me a comment or email me or tweet me if you want to buy them.
I distribute Spanish food & wines in HK. I get them at a good price. :)

This is a great product! Again, let me know if you want to get some. 

Again, since this was an experiment, I made a mini loaf. But feel free to double the recipe and you will be able to get one 9×5x3-inch loaf.

Orange, Saffron & Hazelnut Pull Apart Bread
Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker

Dough:
1 3/8C + 1T bread flour or all purpose flour
1/8C sugar
1 1/8t dry active yeast
pinch of salt
pinch of saffron
1oz butter
1/6C whole milk (i used a mixture of cream and skimmed milk cos that's what I have in the fridge)
1/8C water
1 large egg, room temperature

2T extra virgin olive oil infused with orange and saffron (or you can use butter instead) - to brush the dough with

Filling:
3T brown sugar
1T white sugar
zest of 1 big orange
pinch of saffron
handful of crushed hazelnuts


1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1C flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Set aside.

2. Whisk egg. Set aside

3. Melt butter and milk in a small saucepan. Add in saffron. Remove from heat and add water. Let cool or until mixture is between 115F - 125F.

4. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix with spatula until mixture starts to come together. Add in the egg. Stir until incorporated. 

5. Add in the remaining 3/8C flour and stir with spatula. If the dough isn't coming together, use your hands to incorporate the ingredients. 


6. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towl. Place in warm space and let it rest until the dough doubles in size. About 1 hour.



7. Grease loaf tin. Make the filling by combining all the filling ingredients together.

8. After an hour, punch dough down and knead with 1T of flour. Cover with clean kitchen towl and let rest for 5 mins. Lightly flour board and roll out dough with rolling pin.

Dough kneaded and rested.


9. Brush dough with infused olive oil or butter. Sprinkle filling on top. Slice the dough vertically into 4 strips.



10. Stack them on top of each other and slice into equal pieces again. Layer the dough into the pan. Cover with towel and let rest for 30-45mins.


this has rested and doubled in size

11. Bake in 350F oven for 30mins - until golden brown.

12. Let rest for 20-30 mins before flipping the bread out of the tin. (I only waited 15mins).


4 comments:

  1. i wanna tryyyyyy

    lolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so freaking good...
    *triple thumbs up to Char!*

    yes it looks so good i had to flash my third thumb.. *shhhh!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing. Want to try, want to try want to try

    ReplyDelete
  4. i m so glad the photos are good enough to make you all want to try!! tehehe. but it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete