Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Eggs Benny a Its Best

I was too busy eating the whole time that I was in Vancouver that I have once again neglected to post anything up.

I feel bad ... and even worst now that my SD card has decided on its own to erase a chunk of my food photos. Now i have no memory of that couple of weeks of my life. Sad. And I am sorry that I can't share with you some of the glorious places and dishes that I have tried.

Lunch dates with myself is my thing in Vancouver. Table for one, with my book. A chance for me to sample any dishes I want - and I do splurge once in awhile. Is therapeutic. Is lunch uninterrupted.

Locus Restaurant & Lounge on 4121 Main Street.

Cool logo on menu cover

A very rustic joint with a hypie vibe. I sat by the window looking out onto Main street at 3pm. I ordered a Caesar - Happy hour started early everyday when I was in yvr.

That's the bar. owner behind making my Caesar


A great menu selection, serving up homey and comforting diner food - soups and sandwiches, hearty salads, breakfast champs, burgers and pastas. The first thing that caught my eye was the Pulled Wild Boar Benny. Wild boar. Now that's not the kind of meat that you can have everyday or anywhere for that matter. 

Pulled Wild Boar Benny
jalapeno corn bread,
hollandaise
13

I was sold. 

I ordered it right away before I flipped through the menu again. I knew I would have had a hard time to decide if I saw some other mouthwatering dishes - the Halibut Burger for example. 

One thing totally worth mentioning before I tell you about that gooey benny is their bread basket. It was oh-so-mind blowing. A very simple bread basket but I was totally surprised by their very well made compound butters of sundried tomato with garlic and cinnamon & sugar!! Paired with fluffy slices of savory foccacia-ish bread and crusty raisin bread. I could have just eaten that for my lunch. The butters were so velvety that I wanted to just eat them on their own. They were gorgeous.



Okay, so back to the Wild Boar Benny. 

This dish was truly comforting. Every flavor and ingredient that went into this dish just worked wondrously. You can taste spicy, sweet, salty and sour all at the same time. The textural difference - you have silky, fluffy, chunky, doughy and crispy. This dish really makes your palette happy. 


The hollandaise was not ur classic hollandaise - it was smooth with a touch of spice (definitely has cayenne) on top and complimented with a sweetness that I couldn't make out what it was. Maybe is from the cornbread?!
The wild boar was carefully pulled apart - juicy and hearty. With it's gamey-ness, it was meat that I definitely was craving.


The jalapeño cornbread was dense and moist. The texture, I loved. It was not the kind that crumbles and disseminates in front of your eyes once your fork hits it. It clung onto the shredded meat, the fluffy egg whites, the semi runny yolk and the hollandaise, allowing you to take a bite of everything all at once.

I ordered my Benny medium.  I don't like it when the yolk is way too runny and drowns everything else on the plate. Though it does give a velvety bite, I hate how the yolk alters the taste of the dish completely! I like to be in control of the taste of every mouthful of egg Benny I take and have the choice of being able to taste each component of the dish separately if I wish. A medium poached egg let me do just that. It does not interfere with it's neighbors; but scoop into the yolk, I can create a totally different taste experience.

Something that is so simple but is a dish that I could never recreate at home. Let's leave this soulful dish to the experts at Locus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment