Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Is that time of year again ...

...where almost everywhere in the world is decorated in pink, red and white in some way, with lots of hearts, teddy bears and roses on display. Is the time of year where restaurants offer you the least choices ever, which I think is the worst time to dine out, forcing everyone single one of their customers to order 'the set'. And nope, I can't go out and have a dinner with 3 friends, because 'the set' is meant for 2pax. Despite what seems to be some dissatisfaction here, Valentine's Day is still a day to be thankful that you have your 'perfect someone' with you. And guys, no matter how much a girl says she doesn't like Valentine's Day or doesn't mind if you don't get her anything ... don't listen to that. Just get her something ... anything.


Anyhooo ...since most of the sites that I've been look at is promoting Valentine's Day in some sort of ways - salon.com has 'Search for the best Valentine's Day candy: It's on!"; vanmag.com is educating girls on "Last-minute Valentine's Day Gifts for Men" - then I guess it is important enough for me to dedicate this post to Valentine's day.

I actually don't recall cooking a Valentine's Day meal for my special someone. I usually made my special someone take me out to have 'the set' (ya I know, total hypocrite). But in my defense, I've only had a few bfs and so I don't have many Valentine's Day that I get to spend with a special someone. I did, however, taught a couple of my friends to cook a Valentine's Day meal for their bfs. So I guess this post should be about, IF I have a bf on next Monday, what would I cook for him?

I will absolutely not bound myself to the stove on Valentine's Day since I want to look awesome and enjoy myself. Dripping sweats & smelling like the kitchen don't exactly say sexy. Taking the simple and express route to put a tasty and romantic meal on the table is the way to go. (I will save my herb-rubbed duck with cherry & sage sauce for another day - you have to bone the duck, make the stock ... you get the drift).

Here are my ideas:

Amuse Bouche: Serrano Chips with Quince Preserves & Manchego

To drink: Champagne / Sparkling Wine
Why it is easy: Everything is store bought and all you have to do is cut up and crisp the Serrano ham in the oven (or you can fry them in oil); Use a peeler to shave some cheese, and stack: ham --> quince -- cheese. YUM! You can do this ahead of time.

Starter: Any type of Seafood Ceviche (ex. scallops, tuna, seabass, etc)

To drink: White Wine
Why it is easy: No cooking involved. Chop up your seafood into tiny cubes, marinate them in lemon juice (or any citrus) for 30mins and you are done. The citrus 'cooks' the seafood. Since this is so easy, you should also dice up some red onions, cilantro and toss them in the mix for some colors and flavour. season to taste.

Main: Oven Roasted Lamb Chops with Roasted Garlic and Rosemary

To drink: Continue with the white wine or open a red (the lamb is mild enough to go with the white wine and the roasted garlic will be really sweet instead of pungent and in your face. You won't have garlic breath, I promise).
Why it is easy: You just shove it in the oven and let it do the job for you. You won't have any oil splatters on your LBD. And since you are using the oven, buy some baby carrots and zucchini and roast them in oven too. Veggies are important.

Dessert: Mixed Berries with Creme Anglaise and Chocolate Cigars

To drink: A pot of fragrant rose tea with some honey
Why it is easy: This can be made ahead of time and the Creme Anglaise is the ONLY thing you need to cook on the stove. Get berries of your choice and a box of those chocolate cigar cookies (the ones you see on ice cream sundaes). Prepare the creme angliase before you doll yourself up, so that you can chill it in the fridge while you get ready. When you are boiling water to make the rose tea, assemble the dessert - layer berries, creme anglaise, berries and creme anglaise in tall glasses (martini glasses would look nice). Stick 2 of the chocolate cigars in and you are done.

Last thing to do is to set the mood. DO get some candles & flowers as the center piece.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

4 comments:

  1. while i LOVE this post, i HATE that you spell centre as center. grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but i m canadian - i can use either one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is mysterious anonymous Victor.... hm.. yeah.....

    Anyway, too lazy to register any of the accounts or login. So this is my anonymous comment now~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Char! that Valentine's dinner would've made any guy feel very very lucky =)

    ReplyDelete