Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

It has not been my week ...

.... in baking that is. 2 days in a row, 2 failures. Right now I don't even want to be near my mixing bowls, whisk and spatulas. I don't understand why I always have a hard time baking cakes, or anything for that matter. Almost always nothing comes out the way they are supposed to.

Knowing that I still have a tub of yogurt in my fridge, I thought it would be fun to bake a yogurt cake with a lemon glaze. All sounded simple enough and it shouldn't be too bad if I follow some guidelines. So 350F, buttered mini loaf pans and I started mixing the batter. All was well and mixed in 20mins and into the oven for 30mins before checking. The mini loaves were rising beautifully in the hot oven (I should have taken pictures of that). But when I used a skewer to poke them to check if they were done, the whole thing just collapsed on me! I baked it for another 5 mins and took them out and they just turned into heavy and dense yogurt loaves! I don't know what went wrong, but here's the recipe that I used:

1.5C flour
2t baking powder
1/4t salt
1C yogurt
1C sugar
3 eggs
1t lemon zest
1/4t vanilla
1/2C veggie oil

your very simple and basic yogurt pound cake recipe, yet I still managed to screw it up.

With yesterday's flop, I thought I should go with something I am more familiar with, cookies. I've been baking them nonstop for the past couple of weeks and all turned out delicious. Dav, my friend, gave me a recipe and said is the best chco chip cookies ever. And so I gave it a go with confidence that nothing will go wrong and I will be able to enjoy a fresh batch of cookies in an hour. Was I wrong!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the recipe. It was just idiot me who forgot to refrigerate the dough for at least an hour before baking!! With so much butter (ratio of butter to flour is 1 to 1 in this recipe) in the dough, how could I have forgotten to chill it first!!!! so my first 2 batches of this supposedly heavenly treat turned into a blob of mess - or thin choc chip crisps if you want to be nice.




(then i tried to shape them into those fancy French buttery cookies and rested them on my rolling pin)

Totally NOT my week for baking at all. I now believe that your mood reflects on the results of your dishes. I have been rather grouchy and moody for the past couple of days (yes, I am blaming it on PMS) and my dearest Dr Chan just told me that I should cut back on desserts because white sugar is bad for my skin and whatever else I have. With not so good news, I am letting my oven take a break until next week.

2 comments:

  1. so i have to find some dessert recipes that don't have white sugar :D yay!! and i want some of those thin choc chip cookies please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you must! thxs girl. the choc chip crisps taste ok actually.

    ReplyDelete