Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What brings you comfort?

'Comfort food' - I never knew what it was. Is relatively new to me, meaning that by the time I came across this term, I have been westernized. For the longest time, I thought comfort food was a good beef stew, chicken noodle soup, spaghetti with meatballs, mac n' cheese (which btw I never really liked when I was a kid), anything that's greasy or super sweet. Of course, they are all absolutely delicious, but I didn't grow up with them. These are my 'recent' discoveries. Hence, I never really understood (and questioned) why eating cookie dough is 'heavenly' (you are putting flour and raw eggs in your mouth), or why licking the bowl of left over icing is 'divine'.

By the time I started to appreciate food and the art of cooking, I have been living in Canada for 10+ years. It seems like I have been brainwashed into thinking that bread puddings, grilled cheese sandwiches, big bowls of chillies and bacon & hash are my comfort food. I really did believe they would make me feel better. But in reality, I never really eat them and they are not the first things that come to mind when I need a little warmth & joy.

I recently discovered that no matter how much you think your taste in food has changed over the years (I have been telling people that I would pick western food over Chinese food any day for many years now!), you will always go back to the basics, to your roots because you grew up with them. You feel happy, satisfied and a bit nostalgic when you eat them .. but most of all, you feel comforted and safe.


When I am not feeling well, I thought I would be happy with a really good burger or a bowl of chicken noodle soup; but all I really want is a bowl of rice noodles in soup with fish balls or beef brisket, macaroni in Swanson chicken broth and luncheon meat, carrot & fish soup (Chinese style), fried rice and even congee (which I only eat when I am sick - cos that was what my mom and nanny fed me when I was young and when I was sick). I don't want any fuss, I just want something familiar. It wasn't a taste-bud change for me after what happened, I was merely going back to something that I truly know and found comfort in.

*image from ifood.tv

1 comment:

  1. I think that's because your brain chemistry changed lately.

    My comfort food...it's hard to say, just because i spent my last 10+ years not eating at home, but out. (thus the belly)

    But for me, might be simple Shanghai food back before I come to Beijing where there is no good shanghai restaurant.

    But now, it has changed. And i think I have different comfort food categories. Comfort food for long work days, or comfort food when i am sick.

    For comfort food to cure long stressful days, alcohol (beer or sake) + yakitori in a tiny smoky yakitori joint.

    For sick comfort food, I want japanese curry on rice, so that i can just shove them into my face.

    Speaking of being japanese-fied.

    ReplyDelete